IoPP is dedicated to the growth of the packaging industry and encourages undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a career as a packaging professional to submit their most innovative packages for judging.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I enter?
- Participating in the Student AmeriStar Award competition is an excellent way to build a network of colleagues or mentors and get noticed by the biggest names in the packaging business!
What projects can I enter?
- You can enter any package design project you’ve produced that addresses a consumer problem or need.
Is there a cost to enter?
- Student AmeriStar entries are free for undergraduate or graduate students. IoPP membership is not required to submit an entry.
What are the categories?
How will my entry be judged?
- Your Student AmeriStar entry will be judged on the following criteria:
- Package Performance (Does your package provide a consumer benefit in how it delivers the product?)
- Marketing (Does your package improves the products image and improve the market appeal of the product?)
- Product Protection (Does the package deliver the product to consumers while adequately protecting the product from damage?)
- Innovation (Does your package use a new package technology/design or creatively use existing technology to provide innovation?)
- Environmental Impact (Does your package provide a solution that considers how it will impact the environment?)
- Economics (Does this package provide a cost-effective solution to a consumer need?)
Can I win an award?
- New for 2023, student entries are eligible for two new awards: Best in Show and Excellence in Food Packaging. Winning entries receive $1,000, sponsored by IoPP Gold Partner Sabert.
- AmeriStar judges will evaluate all student entries and select one winner for Best in Show.
- AmeriStar judges will evaluate all student entries in the Food Packaging category and select one winner for Excellence in Food Packaging.
What are the submission requirements?
- Product description: You'll need to submit a video (preferred) or PowerPoint presentation (.pdf format), presenting your design and describing how it meets the judging criteria.
- Images: Up to four (4) high-resolution images of the package. We accept .jpeg or .png files.